Saturday, January 14, 2017

How to Write A Formal Letter


What is a formal letter?
- A formal letter is letter written in formal language with a specific structure and layout. 
- We write formal letters to a teacher, a bank, a company or the local council. 
- It’s commonly used to seek permission, to request, to complain, to apply for something, etc.

Take a look at this example letter for ideas on how you should approach writing a formal letter.

Question: Write a letter to Mr Adam, the manager of Xendra Toys, complaining about a car you have bought.



Items in a formal letter:
Addresses:
»       Your address
»       The recipient’s address

Greeting:
»       Dear Sir or Madam,
§   If you don't know the name of the recipient, you may write this way.

»       Dear Mr Azman,
§   If you know the recipient’s name, use a suitable title for that person.
§   For instance, Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Dr, Datuk, etc.

Subject Line: State what is the letter about. It should be short and concise.

Content of a Formal Letter:
First Paragraph
We should briefly write the purpose of writing the letter.

Useful Phrases to begin your letter:
·      I am writing to ask/enquire/complain about …
·      I am writing to inform … / I am writing to request information about …
·      I wish to express my dissatisfaction with …
·      Thank you for your letter regarding …
·      In reply to your letter of 11 July, …
·      It has come to my attention that …

Following Paragraph(s)
Write details and information that are relevant to the stated purpose.

Last Paragraph
§    Write what we want the recipient to do.
§    For example, to refund, send information, etc.

Useful Phrases to end your letter:
·      I look forward to your reply. / I look forward to hearing from you.
·      Please advise as necessary.
·      I would appreciate your immediate attention in this matter.
·      Should you need further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
·      I await a response at your earliest convenience.
·      Thank you for your time and attention.

Signing-off:
»       Yours Faithfully,
§    Write this way if you don't know the recipient’s name.

»       Yours Sincerely,
§    Write this way if you know the recipient’s name.


Your name
Write your name underneath your signature.
---

Differences between Informal and Formal Letter:


Informal Letter
Formal Letter
Purpose
Professional communication
Personal communication
Language
Formal language
Everyday language
Written to
Principal, teacher, college, business, etc.
Family, relatives, friends, etc.




Here are examples on changing everyday phrases into formal phrases:

Straight away à immediately
I am very unhappy à I am very dissatisfied
I have got à I have received
The receptionist told us à The receptionist informed us
I would like you to give me all my money back à I would like a full refund
--



You can download this formal letter format and exercises here.

Looking for an informal letter instead? Go to this link. 

1 comment: